01
September
2019

Blue-Green Algae Warning


Blue Green Algae Warning

The recent weather, rain, heat, sun, has unfortunately been great conditions for blue-green algae to grow.

Although it is called blue green algae, it can range from brown, blue, green and red.
It sits on or just under the water and can appear anything like a slimy slick all the way up to a mossy type of stuff.

It may look quite innocent but it is very harmful to both animals and humans.

Try to avoid any water that has this algae on it. Even if it seems there is only a small amount. It is not worth the risk of getting ill.

If you have been swimming in affected water, the common signs to look out for are:
- Vomiting
- Diarrhea
- Blood or black tarry poop
- Pale gums
- Jaundice (yellowing of eyes or gums)
- Seizures
- Disorientation
- Shock
- Excessive drooling
- Trembling or rigidity
- Blue discolouration of the gums or skin
- Difficulty breathing

These are signs an animal has been affected.

Signs that humans have been affected include:
- Headache
- Rash
- Fever
- Stomach upset
- Seizures

If anyone thinks they or their humans have been affected by blue-green algae it is very important to seek medical advice as soon as possible.

If you have definitely been swimming in affected water but do not feel any illness or have signs of illness,. it is better to seek medical advice straight away to get advice and either not need it or get some initial treatment, rather than wait and get really ill.

If you are out on your adventures and come across water with blue green algae in it then please let everyone know so that they can avoid it too.
The best way to stay safe is to not swim in water that is not clear.

Stay safe pals!


Categories: Articles

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.