In the kitchen
Skye & Sparky’s Mum's Cake
Note from Fred & Tess:
Our good friends Skye and Sparky’s Mum is vegan, and we thought we would try a vegan cake they can all eat. Mum said the topping to this cake is yummy and she might turn it into a frozen yoghurt (she had better make her own and leave our topping alone! BOL).
230g plain flour
240ml nut milk
160ml maple syrup
150g pumpkin, mashed
50g coconut oil melted
1tsp cider vinegar
1tsp bicarb of soda
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
300g oat yoghurt
80ml maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease two 7in cake tins (we used coconut oil as it softens our paws, and they smell yummy! BOL).
2. Melt the coconut oil then mix it with the milk, pumpkin, syrup and vinegar.
3. Add the flour, cinnamon, bicarb of soda, baking powder and salt. Using an electric whisk, mix everything together to make a batter.
4. Pour the batter into the cake tins and spread the batter evenly in the tin.
5. Bake for 20-25 mins in the oven until a toothpick comes out clean.
Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 mins and then remove them from the tins and leave them on a cooling tray until cold.
6. Make the icing – stir the syrup and yoghurt together and divide it between the top of both cakes.
Spread the icing on the top of the cakes then place one of the cakes on top of the other. .
Keep the cake in the fridge and it will last for 5-7 days