Ears

2 years 3 months ago #11660 by Tigger
Ears was created by Tigger
There are many types of dog ears due to the shape and size.

In my opinion there are only 4 really different types of dog’s ears and the rest are all varieties of these four.

First is the sticky up ears like huskies, Chihuahua and Alsatians.
These ears are always stuck up like the dog is on constant listening mode. 

Second are the hangy down ears like beagles, bloodhounds and basset hounds.
I am not sure what the purpose of having ears like this are for.

The only evidence I have seen is their use as a food collector while eating or absorbent sponge during drinking with the sole purpose of maximising the food/water splatter radius while shaking.

The third are the half n half ears that start off going straight up, then giving up half way and flopping over.
These ears seem to be a firm favourite for the humans which give rise to lots of gibberish and cooing noises from them.

The fourths are greyhound and lurcher ears.

They do not fit into one category as they are the gymnastic Olympians of dog ears and have a full range of semaphore capabilities.
Generally, unless there is a medical reason, all ears are all capable of hearing any and all food activity in the kitchen.
Although during recall and training they seem to have a full system failure.

There is one strange thing nearly all dogs have in common, the ‘torn’ bit on the outside edge of our ears.
I have often been asked how my ears got torn. Go on then I know your human wants to check your ears for your torn bit I will wait.

Here is the news flash to your humans… the torn bits are not torn and are in fact a natural part of our ears.

Human scientists are not quite sure why we have these torn bits but suspect it has something to do with us being able to hear really high pitched noises.

Ear care is very important and your human should check them regularly to make sure they are kept clean and clear from dirt and parasites.

The hangy down ears need particular attention as they can easily form infections due to the air not circulating as much and creating a warmer environment for parasites and germs.

Any redness, unusual smells, discharge, shaking of the head or furious scratching of the ears may be a sign something is wrong.
If you suspect any of these symptoms get your human to check your ears and get advice from your vet.

Your ears should be checked regularly.
Most humans do this when they groom us or in the evenings when we are snuggled up with them on the sofa chilling out.
Our humans seem to have a strange attraction to fiddling with our ears when we are trying to relax.

When your humans are cleaning your ears they should only use small bits of damp cotton wool, starting from the centre and wiping toward the edges of our ears.

It must be pointed out here that the cotton wool should not be dripping wet as a sudden drip into our ears will result in us jumping up and shaking our heads vigorously. This will also make us more reluctant to ear cleaning the next time.
Each bit of cotton wool should only be used once.

Any foreign objects or lots of dirt inside our ears must be removed carefully so that it is not pushed further down into our ear. If the object or dirt is deep into our ear then assistance from a vet may be required.

Please Log in to join the conversation.